Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Tasteless comment by Richard Marceau on Garneau candidacy

"Well I'm actually sad for Marc Garneau to see a guy who's flown so high and now is gonna crash into the ground into this election by not winning, and by be by being beaten by a very good Member of Parliament called Meili Faille. I think it's pretty sad, it's a sad career ending for Marc Garneau who was a good astronaut. Unfortunately for him he decided to crash with the Liberal party Quebec in this election, and I think he'll come to regret that."

-Richard Marceau on CBC Newsworld's Politics with Don Newman
Video Clip (Requires Real Player)
Setting aside the extreme overconfidence in this statement, I don't find his use of the term "Crash into the ground." to be funny or appropriate at all. I'm a huge fan of the space program and was watching the day Columbia broke up and was watching the day Discovery lifted off and landed safely, preying the whole time that crew crew would be safe.

Marc Garneau has said here that he knew all the victims of Columbia very well, except for Ilan Ramon whom he had only said hello to once.

I understand Richard Marceau doesn't like the Liberals, and that's fine, I have no problem with that; and I imagine he didn't mean to be as insensitive as he sounded. but he needs to be a little more careful about what he says in this campaign. I for one was very offended by it.

No comments: