Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Foley may be the Straw That Broke the Camel's Back

Foleygate. Ahhhh, that has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

I have a very very tiny bit more optimism about the upcoming midterm U.S. elections than I did a few days ago, the reason being the fallout from Congressman Foley's illicit emailing. Up until I heard about this I wasn't very optimistic at all. I mean come on, these people re-elected the worst president in the history of their country!

There is a lot of talk out there about the Republican's strength being the Homeland Security issue. (Why I can't imagine, I mean they only let 9/11 happen. -Ed.) But for my money Homeland Security isn't their number one trump card, it's the perverted sense of "morals and values" they pretend they have, and the alleged infranctions by one Florida Congressman tears at the very heart of this issue. The far right crowd have given the Republicans a near carte blanche, allowing them to let their fellow citizens die in terror attacks, from hurricanes, and in war, so long as they made it so that boys would be prevented from kissing in their state. But now, we have a member of the Republican congress an alleged petophile, and what's worse we have Republican congressional leaders allegedly knowing about this months ago. This could finally be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Still, the way the polls are looking I'm still not optimistic, I often wonder what Republicans would have to do to get destroyed at the polls. Could you imagine a party being this bad in Canada? Say what you like about the Liberals at least they didn't send troops off in a war over oil, and when Hurricane Juan (obviously not as big a deal as Katrina, but still) hit my home province of Nova Scotia the Liberals were quick to send in troops to help with the clean up. Could you imagine the Republican party running in Canada? They'd get all the vote in Alberta and shut out everywhere else.

No comments: