Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A New Approach on Abortion

I was watching "Meet the Press" on Sunday and they had Howard Dean on there and he said something very interesting on the subject of abortion:
DR. DEAN: It is an incredibly difficult area. It is an area which is conflicted. I don't know anybody who ever had an abortion who feels, "Oh, boy, this is just great. I can't wait to have another one." That's not what this is about. This is a very difficult, horrible choice. Does the government make that choice or does the individual make that choice? There are ethical constraints around the issue of abortion. There is no question about that. I think those ought to be done state by state. And I think doctors ought to have a lot more say about it than they do now.

MR. RUSSERT: Both parties have tried to use it politically.

DR. DEAN: I agree with that, and I think that's unfortunate. I think it is time now for pro-life Americans and pro-choice Americans or Americans who believe in individual freedom to get together, and we have common ground. The common ground is we'd all like to reduce the number of abortions. But put aside the rhetoric, the difficulty and let's work to reduce the number of abortions. That's something we can agree on. I don't think we're going to get there with abstinence-only education. I don't think we're going to get there if we condemn contraceptions or condom use and all that kind of thing. But let's see what common ground that we have. There are a lot of very reasonable Americans who call themselves pro-life. There are a lot of very reasonable Americans who believe in individual choice and personal responsibility. I think we can work together. There are not many of us who want to see the abortion rate continue to go up as it has under President Bush.

It never occured to me before, but both us Pro-Choicers and the Pro lifers do have simular goals. No one like abortions, so why can't we work together to stem the tide?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not often I can say this, but I agree with Dr. Howard Dean. I am a pro-lifer and he is right that there can be a common ground. Maybe it's time Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, Conservatives work to find that common ground instead of trying to gain the full edge over one another.